Tuesday, April 28, 2009

UK - The Watercress Line Steam Railway (GB-67928)

Here's something that I really love - trains! :))) I already have several railways related cards in my collection and I still hope to receive more showing trains (both old and modern ones) from different countries and continents :) Some people claim that the popularity of trains in Europe will decrease and that they'll remain only a tourist attraction, as more and more people have their own cars... But I strongly believe in the further development of raliways. Trains are safer and more comfortable than cars. Travelling by train may be faster than by plane (on distances under 1000km), because railway stations are usually located closer to the city center than the airports and you don't have to come to the railway station 2 hours before your train leaves :) Well, I doubt if anyone is going to try travelling by train just because of reading my blog, but I encourage you to do so anyway ;) And no, I don't work for the Polish railways and I don't get any profits for advertising... I'm just an honest enthusiast :)))


GB-67928

The Watercress Line is the marketing name of the Mid-Hants Railway, a heritage line in Hampshire, England, running 10 miles (16 km) from New Alresford to Alton where it connects to the National Rail network. The line gained its popular name in the days that it was used to transport locally grown watercress to markets in London.

In 1861 the Alton, Alresford and Winchester Railway Company was authorised to build a new railway to connect to the existing London & South Western Railway lines at Alton and Winchester. It was opened on 2 October 1865 as the Mid-Hants Railway. Trains were operated by the London & South Western Railway who eventually purchased the Mid-Hants Railway Company in 1884.

The section of line from Alresford to Alton that can be seen today was successfully purchased from British Rail in November 1975. Some of the structures that can be seen on the Watercress Line today were not part of the original railway infrastructure; they have been added to make the line serviceable again and to recreate the feel of a fully-operational steam railway.

No comments: