Tuesday, April 28, 2009

France - Sacré-Cœur Basilica in Paris (FR-46699)

I was very surprised to receive an official card from France written in Ukrainian! :) It was sent by an Ukrainian lady, who lives in Paris :)
I honestly doubt if I've seen the Sacré-Cœur Basilica during my only trip to Paris and I'm rather sure I haven't been inside it (otherwise I'd remember it). When I saw this card for the first time, I thought it was a very old church, but in fact it was completed 1914, which was not so long ago, as for Europe. It reminds me Orthodox churches a bit (although it's a Catholic basilica) and indeed it was built in Romano-Byzantine style.

FR-46699

The Sacré-Cœur Basilica (French: Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, "Basilica of the Sacred Heart") is a Roman Catholic basilica and popular landmark in Paris, France, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The basilica is located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city.

Sacré-Cœur is built of travertine stone quarried in Château-Landon (Seine-et-Marne), France. This stone constantly exudes calcite, which ensures that the basilica remains white even with weathering and pollution.

A mosaic in the apse, entitled Christ in Majesty, is among the largest in the world.
The basilica complex includes a garden for meditation, with a fountain.
The top of the dome is open to tourists and affords a spectacular panoramic view of the city of Paris, which is mostly to the south of the basilica.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Paris...