Sunday, October 19, 2008

UK - Hull (GB-49406)

That's already my 4th card from the UK :) I've been only to London and just once, so I don't remember much. There are many Polish people working in the UK since Poland has joined the EU, but I don't think I'd like to work anywhere in Western Europe. Still, I think UK is an interesting country, although I'd rather visit Scotland than England, because of the nature.
The sender didn't write anything about this card or about the city, so the only thing I can do is to use Wikipedia ;)

Kingston upon Hull , almost invariably referred to as Hull, is a city and unitary authority area in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is located 25 miles (40 km) from the North Sea on the River Hull at its junction with the Humber estuary. Hull has a resident population of 257,000 (2007 est.). Renamed Kings town upon Hull by King Edward I in 1299, the town and city of Hull has served as market town, military supply port, trading hub, fishing and whaling centre, and industrial metropolis. Hull was an early theatre of battle in the English Civil Wars, and was the backdrop to events leading to the abolition of the slave trade in Britain.

The city was unique in the United Kingdom in having a municipally owned telephone system from 1902, sporting cream, not red, telephone boxes. After suffering heavy damage during the Second World War, Hull weathered a period of post-industrial decline, during which the city gained unfavourable results on measures of social deprivatio
n, education and policing. However, the city has embarked on a programme of regeneration and renewal and a range of sporting and cultural activities is available.

GB-49406

No comments: