Thursday, May 14, 2009

UK - Hitchin (GB-74207)

It's always nice to receive cards from places that aren't very well-known, because it's a good opportunity to improve my knowledge in geography and history :) Well, I've already written my final exams in these subjects, but I hope I'll never lose my desire to learn something new :)
According to the sender, Hitchin is a little town with lots of live music, pubs and places to eat. Hitchin is also known for the Rhytms of The World festival, which takes place there every year.

There are two more things that I really like about this card - the orange frame and wonderful railway related stamp :)

GB-74207

Hitchin is a town with 30,000 inhabitants 35 miles north of London in the county of Hertfordshire. Hitchin is an old market town first mentioned 1,000 years ago.

Hitchin has its own character and several historic buildings can be found around the town centre, historic market place, Bancroft, Bucklersbury and Sun Street. Although this part of Hertfordshire is fairly heavily populated there is still plenty of scenery with rolling hills, lots of small villages and single track lanes to be found.

No comments: