Monday, April 27, 2009

Poland - Kalwaria Zebrzydowska

Thanks to the UNESCO tag on postcrossing forum, I've received 2 wonderful cards showing UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Poland :) Actually, I was expecting to receive just one, so it was a great surprise to receive an anvelope with 2 different UNESCO cards! It was a shame to write here about my knowledge of my own country once, so I'm not going to repeat it ;) Writing about it is pointless, because I do absoutely nothing to change it - of course, I could spend my holidays visiting different regions of Poland and learning more about my homeland, but the temptation to go to another country (guess which one) is always too strong :)
I haven't been to Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, although it seems to be a very beautiful place, surrounded by forests.


Kalwaria Zebrzydowska park is a Mannerist architectural and park landscape complex and pilgrimage park, built in the 17th century as the Counter Reformation in the late 16th century led to prosperity in the creation of Calvaries in Catholic Europe. It is the best known sanctuary in Poland, after Jasna Góra in Częstochowa. The park, located near the town of Kalwaria Zebrzydowska, which took its name from the park, was added in 1999 to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites.

Calvary
or Golgotha are the English language/Western Christian names given to the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem’s early 1st century walls, ascribed to the crucifixion of Jesus. The word "Calvary" comes from Calvaria in the Latin Vulgate.

No comments: