Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ukraine - The Independence Square in Kyiv (UA-6101)

As you can see, I've received my 2nd official card from Ukraine! :) I'm starting to think I'm very lucky! :) This one shows the Independence Square (Майдан Незалежності - Maidan Nezalezhnosti) in Kyiv. It's the main square of the Ukraine's capital and is also known for the Orange Revolution, which took place there in 2004. Now I don't associate it with politics anymore, but still, that was the moment when I became interested in Ukraine :)
I went to Kyiv for the first time in 2007 and it was a great feeling to see the Independence Square :) I was a bit surprised, because on the TV it looked much bigger than it is in fact. I love going to Maidan each time I'm in Kyiv. The main post office of Kyiv is located there, so I just couldn't miss any opportunity to go there :D

UA-6101

This card was sent in an envelope, but here are the stamps:


Maidan Nezalezhnosti
(Ukrainian: Майдан Незалежності, literally: Independence Square) is the central square of Kiev, the capital city of Ukraine. One of the main city squares, it is located on the Khreschatyk Street. The square was known under many different names but it became prominent as simply the Maidan due to the political events of great significance that took place there in the recent years after the Ukrainian accession to independence.


"Maidan" literally translates from Ukrainian as square; this word originally came from Persian. It received its current name in 1991 in the aftermath of the Ukrainian accession to independence. Nezalezhnist (independence) commemorates the Ukrainian independence achieved in 1991 in the aftermath of the collapse of the Soviet Union.

1 comment:

- said...

Most of the time squares are less bigger in real than on television! Lovely card!