Friday, March 13, 2009

Latvia - Sigulda

Here's my first card from Latvia! :) Guntra was very kind to send it to me after receiving an official card from me. This card shows the beautiful landscapes of Sigulda, which is a town in Vidzeme region. I especially like the picture showing the Gauja river valley. Unfortunately, I haven't been to any to Latvia yet, but I think it would be very interesting to take a trip to Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. My friends went on a bike trip to these countries 2 years ago, but I'm not so much into sport, so I think that would be to hard for me. Anyway, there are many other ways of travelling (with the train being my favorite), so I think there's something I can do myself to visit the Baltic countries :)



Sigulda
is a town in the Vidzeme Region of Latvia, 53 km from the capital city Riga.


Sigulda is situated on a picturesque stretch of the primeval Gauja river valley. Because of the reddish Devonian sandstone which forms steep rocks and caves on both banks of the river, Sigulda has been called the "Switzerland of Vidzeme".

After the restoration of Latvian independence in 1991, an emphasis was placed on conserving Sigulda's public monuments and parks as well as improving the town's tourist sector. Supported by the town council, a traditional Opera Festival takes place in an open-air music hall in the castle ruins each summer. A Town Festival is celebrated in May when cherry trees blossom, while Sigulda is known for the colors of its trees in autumn. Sports such as skiing, bobsledding, and the luge are popular in wintertime and bungee jumping is practiced during the rest of the year.

2 comments:

Chris Overstreet said...

The red-roofed building is amazing! I imagine that it plays a part in the festival, but it looks like half home, half gazebo!

- said...

I saw your blog somewhere on the postcrossing site (thought the signature on the forum) and I think it is really nice :) You have a lot of nice cards received!