Saturday, March 28, 2009

France - Place du Tertre in Paris

Here's the 2nd of 3 wonderful cards that I've received from Jerome :) The stamps are also very beautiful on each of these cards.
I'm not a stamp collector, although I have several albums with stamps that my parents used to collect before and that I received from my penpals. But I know there are some people, who know exactly, which stamps are valuable and which are worth nothing... And I'm not like that. I like receiving cards or letters with special stamps, especially the ones which give me some additional information about the country of their origin. I just want to be too serious about anything.
Last week I read on a philatelic website that you shouldn't overfrank the envelopes that you send to serious cover collectors, because then it's worth nothing! The value of stamps should be exactly equal the required postage... I felt a bit disappointed reading it, because sometimes, when I know that someone collects stamps, I try to choose the commemorative ones and I don't really care if their value is a bit bigger than required. And now I learn that my effort to choose more nice stamps could make the cover useless for some collectors. That's why I think it's better not to be extremely serious about anything :) It's the effort which matters and I'm very thankful for the effort that Jerome puts to send me so wonderful cards :)

I'm sorry for the offtopic :) I think I've been writing way too much recently :))
This card shows the Place du Tertre in Paris. Don't ask me, if I've been there, because I just don't remember. As I've written in my previous posts about Paris, I've been there only once and only for about 8 hours, very tired, as I was coming back from London... So I think I can't tell you much about Paris until I go there again :)




The Place du Tertre
is a square in Paris' XVIIIe arrondissement. Only a few streets away from Montmartre's Basilica of the Sacré Cœur and the Lapin Agile, it is the heart of the city's elevated Montmartre quarter.


With its many artists setting up their easels each day for the tourists, the Place du Tertre is a reminder of the time when Montmartre was the mecca of modern art. At the beginning of the 20th century, many penniless painters including Picasso and Utrillo were living there.


L'Espace Salvador Dalí, a museum principally dedicated to the sculpture and drawings of Salvador Dalí, can be found a few steps from Place du Tertre.

No comments: