Monday, February 9, 2009

Ukraine - Alupka, Crimea

I promised to show you some postcards that I brought from my last trip to Ukraine, but this one I received from Anatoliy :) I still haven't been to Crimea, but I'm quite likely to be able to go there this year :) I'm just not sure about it yet and I don't have any precise plans... I still have several months to think about it :)


The Vorontsovsky Palace (Ukrainian: Воронцовський палац; Russian: Воронцовский дворец) is an historic palace located in the town of Alupka, Ukraine. It is situated at the foot of the Crimean Mountains.
The Vorontsovsky Palace was constructed from 1830-1848, to be used as a summer residence of the governor-general of the Novorossiysky Krai, Prince Mikhail Semyonovich Vorontsov.

The palace was built according to a project by English architect Edward Blore (1789-1879). The architect did not visit Alupka, but was well informed about the area's mountainous landscape. When construction began, it was discovered that a foundation and the basement of the first portion of the building was already in position, as the palace was first supposed to be constructed on different plans, by architects Francisco Boffo and Thomas Harrison.

No comments: