Saturday, September 13, 2008

Turkey - Bodrum

As I've already mentioned in my previous post - I have 3 wonderful Turkish cards written in Russian from Leslie :) This one shows Bodrum. Now it's an international center of tourism and yachting, but:

The first recorded settlers in Bodrum region were the Carians and the harbor area was colonized by Dorian Greeks as of the 7th century BC and the city later fell under Persian rule. It was the nominal capital city of the satrapy of Caria. Its location ensured the city enjoyed considerable autonomy.
Herodotus, the historian, (484-420 BC) was born here.

To be honest, I don't like very touristic places, where you can just lie on the beach, swim in the sea and relax, because I find it boring and because there are usually so many people that I have no chance to relax in fact. But, in Turkey there are many places that I know from my history lessons and that I would really love to see.

No comments: