Thursday, July 17, 2008

Macedonia - Struga and Ohrid

I received this postcard from Ana (take a look at her postcard blog, it's much more interesting than this one, because her English is better) :))) It shows 2 Macedonian towns - Struga (Струга) and Ohrid (Охрид), which are both touristic destinations situated at the Ohrid Lake.
Here's some information about the Ohrid Lake:

Lake Ohrid (Macedonian: Охридско Езеро) straddles the mountainous border between the southwestern region of the Republic of Macedonia and eastern Albania. It is probably the oldest lake in Europe, preserving a unique aquatic ecosystem with more than 200 endemic species that is of worldwide importance. The importance of the lake was further emphasized when it was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1979. However, human activity on the lake shores and in its catchment area is resulting in the ecosystem coming under stress.

I don't collect UNESCO cards yet, but I think someday I'll decide to start, so I'll already have one in my collection (actually, I'm sure that I have more of them, but I'd have to check it with the list) :) Thanks, Ana! :)

No comments: